By Arowona Abdulazeez
Following the official announcement of the new Vice Chancellor for the University of Ilorin, there have been mixed reactions over the emergence of Professor Sulyman Age AbdulKareem.
ROYAL NEWS however learnt that out of the three candidates that made it to the last lap of the contest, AbdulKareem eventually coasted home to victory after the 155th Council meeting of the University.
It was gathered that while the two close rivals of the new VC; Professor Ahmad Abdulsalam is of the Arabic Department and Professor Adebayo Lawal Faculty of Education are also experienced scholars as serving Faculty Dean of Arts and former Deputy Vice Chancellor respectively, Prof. AbdulKareem, a Professor in Department of Chemical Engineering was a former Vice Chancellor of a privately owned University where he performed excellently well.
Although, findings from an unofficial source by ROYAL NEWS revealed that Professor Bayo Lawal was supported by former Vice Chancellor Ishaq Oloyede, Professor Ahmad Abdulsalam was sponsored by the Ilorin Emirate forces while Prof. AbdulKareem was strongly supported and recommended by the Minister for Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
Going by the discipline of who to become the next Vice Chancellor of the ‘Better by Far’ University as well as considering the peculiar factor of ASUU saga, it was expected that the institution was desperately in need of a tough and highly principled scholar who can hold grip of all situations with little or no external interference.
Further checks revealed that another candidate in the contest, Professor Hassan Saliu of the department of Political Science out rightly lost out in the contest when a video clip of one of his public lecture where he allegedly spoke in support of the Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, alleging that his ordeals was orchestrated by some political enemies thereby leading to his alleged persecution.
Hassan Saliu contested against Professor Oloyede in 2007, contested against Professor Ambali in 2012 and also took part in the just concluded exercise.
Professor Age AbdulKareem will be sworn-in come October 2017 when the five years tenure of Prof. Ambali will expire.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment