By Arowona Abdulazeez
Following the official announcement of the new Vice Chancellor for the University of Ilorin, there have been mixed reactions over the emergence of Professor Sulyman Age AbdulKareem.
ROYAL NEWS however learnt that out of the three candidates that made it to the last lap of the contest, AbdulKareem eventually coasted home to victory after the 155th Council meeting of the University.
It was gathered that while the two close rivals of the new VC; Professor Ahmad Abdulsalam is of the Arabic Department and Professor Adebayo Lawal Faculty of Education are also experienced scholars as serving Faculty Dean of Arts and former Deputy Vice Chancellor respectively, Prof. AbdulKareem, a Professor in Department of Chemical Engineering was a former Vice Chancellor of a privately owned University where he performed excellently well.
Although, findings from an unofficial source by ROYAL NEWS revealed that Professor Bayo Lawal was supported by former Vice Chancellor Ishaq Oloyede, Professor Ahmad Abdulsalam was sponsored by the Ilorin Emirate forces while Prof. AbdulKareem was strongly supported and recommended by the Minister for Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
Going by the discipline of who to become the next Vice Chancellor of the ‘Better by Far’ University as well as considering the peculiar factor of ASUU saga, it was expected that the institution was desperately in need of a tough and highly principled scholar who can hold grip of all situations with little or no external interference.
Further checks revealed that another candidate in the contest, Professor Hassan Saliu of the department of Political Science out rightly lost out in the contest when a video clip of one of his public lecture where he allegedly spoke in support of the Senate President, Dr. Abubakar Bukola Saraki, alleging that his ordeals was orchestrated by some political enemies thereby leading to his alleged persecution.
Hassan Saliu contested against Professor Oloyede in 2007, contested against Professor Ambali in 2012 and also took part in the just concluded exercise.
Professor Age AbdulKareem will be sworn-in come October 2017 when the five years tenure of Prof. Ambali will expire.
- COAS commissions projects at NAIC Hdqtrs (PHOTOS)
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative