Nigerian government has been called upon to enhance impartial moderation between employees and employers for productivity.
According to Mr. Victor Ayeni, a developmental and labour economist, it is the role of the government to maintain “cordial labour relation clime”, protect against exploitation as well as ensuring freedom of association and expression at workplace.
Ayeni said this in Lokoja, Kogi State capital, while delivering a lecture, titled “Legal And Institutional Frameworks For Dispute Resolution”, part of the 3 papers he presented during the workshop organised by Michael Imoudu Institute for Labour Studies (MINILS).
He said, “the roles of labour can not be overemphasized. No nation can attained the prerequisite progress without placing adequate attention on seeking and utilizing the appropriate level of manpower to stir the process of industrialization, which is the cornerstone for development.
“The government is expected to perform its functions of ensuring impartial moderation of the power relationship subsisting between workers and employers especially in creating and maintaining a cordial labour relations clime.”
The expert said that the effectiveness of industrial relations is hinged on the presence of a functional and sound legal framework through laws and standard practices aimed at guiding against perceived and real threats to the interests of any of the parties.
“The passion with which a government attempts to promote or protect against exploitation, freedom of association and expression as the case may be is reflective of whether it is autocratic or democratic, populist or anti people in nature,” Ayeni said.
The workshop is part of the periodical programmes organised by MINILS for captains of industries, managers and all caders of workers at diverse industries to facilitate human capital development.
- 2023 Election: INEC won’t allow PVC collection by proxy
- Gov. Zulum appoints 7 Permanent Secretaries
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour of A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto