The Department of State Services on Saturday revealed how suspected terrorists planned to unleash terror on six states and the Federal Capital Territory during the just concluded Eid-el-Kabir celebration.
It said the plan was spearheaded by Islamic State of West Africa terrorists whose aim it said, was to cause mayhem during the Sallah break.
It added that the plan was to conduct gun attacks and suicide bombing on selected targets in Abuja, Kano, Kaduna, Niger, Bauchi, Yobe and Borno states.
Spokesperson for the DSS, Tony Opuiyo, who made the revelation in a statement, named Husseini Mai-Tangaran, a senior ISWA commander, as the mastermind of the plan.
He said the suspect had been on the radar of the DSS and the Nigerian Army since 2012, when he allegedly spearheaded the armed attacks on the office of the Assistant Inspector General of Police, Zone I, on January 20, 2012, as well as other public places in Kano State.
He was also said to be responsible for the deadly attacks on worshippers at Kano Central Mosque as well as an attack on a military formation in Yobe State in 2015, which claimed many lives.
The suspect who is said to be an Improvised Explosive Device expert was also alleged to have mobilised others to launch suicide bombing attacks in the past within the North-East region under the the Islamic State in West Africa which he allegedly belongs.
Opuiyo said that the suspect was arrested in Kano on August 31, and that further exploitation led to the arrest of one Abdulkadir Mohammed by the DSS operatives on September 2, at Kantin Kwari Market, Fagge, Kano.
Opuiyo said, “Mohammed was a fighter of the sect who left the conclave of the group in the Sambisa forest, to join ranks with Ismaila towards carrying out the attacks being planned by the group.
“Also, another accomplice in the plot, one Muhammad Ali was arrested on September 3 at Sheka in Kumbotso area of the state.
“Prior to his arrest, Ali was the financial courier of the group in Kano. He was one of the conduits through which funds and other things were channelled to the group by foreign extremist elements.
In a related operation, Opuiyo said the service on September 3 apprehended Yahaya Abatcha and Yusuf Mohammed on Top Medical Road, close to Mobile Quarters in Tunga, Minna, Niger State.
The suspects were described as fighters of the Habib Al-Barnawi-led Islamic State of West Africa.
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List