The President of FCT Association of Resident Doctors, Dr Roland Aigbovo, has narrated how relatives of a patient stripped a female doctor naked in an Abuja hospital.
Aigbovo decried heightened assault and threat to the life of medical doctors by relations of patients in the Federal Capital Territory.
In a statement on Friday in Abuja, he said a female doctor at the Maitama District Hospital, FCT, was recently assaulted and stripped naked by relatives of a patient, following the death of their mother.
“It has been estimated that recently, no fewer than six health workers, especially doctors and nurses, have been assaulted by patient’s relatives in FCT hospitals.
“The recent victim was a female doctor stripped naked by relatives of a patient who died three days ago.”
He further explained that the attack was based on purported mismanagement of the patient said to have died from a chronic medical condition.
“The perpetrators of this act had earlier threatened to kill the doctor for refusing to transfuse the patient with blood for which the doctor explained that it was not necessary. The doctor explained to the relatives that blood transfusion could complicate the patient’s condition.”
He disclosed that the perpetrators of the act were currently in detention at the Maitama Police Station, Abuja, and would be charged, the News Agency of Nigeria reported.
Aigbovo, therefore, called on the Federal Government and the Federal Capital Territory Authority to beef up security in health facilities to end all forms of assault on health workers
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency