Female senators in the 9th Senate, has rose to eight with the swearing in of Biodun Olujimi (PDP Ekiti South), as against seven who served in the 8th Senate.
Senator Olujimi’s swearing in was sequel to the nullification of Senatorial mandate of Senator Adedayo Adeyeye of the All Progressives Congress, APC last Wednesday by the Court of Appeal in Kaduna on the strength of litigation instituted against Adeyeye’s mandate by Olujimi.
The oath of office and oath of allegiance were administered on Olujimi by the Clerk of the Senate, Nelson Ayewoh after which President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan congratulated her with handshake.
In his remarks, Lawan said with Olujimi’s return to the Senate, the number of female senators in the 9th Senate, has increased to nine.
“With the coming of Senator Biodun Olujimi from Ekiti South into the 9th Senate, the number of female senators has increased to eight.
“The solid eight female senators will no doubt bring about additional productivity and stability to the 9th Senate.
“I therefore on behalf of the entire Senate, call for unity of purpose from us all, in the best interest of Nigerians,” he said.
The seven other female senators in the 9th Senate are Oluremi Tinubu (APC Lagos Central), Aishatu Dahiru (APC Adamawa Central), Betty Apiafi (PDP Rivers West) and Stella Oduah (PDP Anambra North).
Others are Senators Uche Ekwunife (PDP Anambra Central), Rose Oko (PDP Cross River North ) and Akon Eyakenyi (PDP Akwa Ibom South).
Statistically on membership composition across party lines, with the coming of Olujimi of PDP against Adeyeye of APC, the number of APC senators in the Senate has decreased from 64 to 63 while PDP increases from 43 to 44 and one YPP while the remaining seat which is Kogi West will be decided by the rerun election slated for this Saturday.
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor
- Kebbi assembly deputy speaker, 5 other resign appointments
- Adamawa guber candidate dies
- Lawyer sues CBN, seeks extension of deadline for old naira notes
- CBN unveils domestic card to strengthen payments system
- SHOCKING… Governor loses son
- Banks in Ogun applauded over circulation of new naira notes