Female senators in the 9th Senate, has rose to eight with the swearing in of Biodun Olujimi (PDP Ekiti South), as against seven who served in the 8th Senate.
Senator Olujimi’s swearing in was sequel to the nullification of Senatorial mandate of Senator Adedayo Adeyeye of the All Progressives Congress, APC last Wednesday by the Court of Appeal in Kaduna on the strength of litigation instituted against Adeyeye’s mandate by Olujimi.
The oath of office and oath of allegiance were administered on Olujimi by the Clerk of the Senate, Nelson Ayewoh after which President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan congratulated her with handshake.
In his remarks, Lawan said with Olujimi’s return to the Senate, the number of female senators in the 9th Senate, has increased to nine.
“With the coming of Senator Biodun Olujimi from Ekiti South into the 9th Senate, the number of female senators has increased to eight.
“The solid eight female senators will no doubt bring about additional productivity and stability to the 9th Senate.
“I therefore on behalf of the entire Senate, call for unity of purpose from us all, in the best interest of Nigerians,” he said.
The seven other female senators in the 9th Senate are Oluremi Tinubu (APC Lagos Central), Aishatu Dahiru (APC Adamawa Central), Betty Apiafi (PDP Rivers West) and Stella Oduah (PDP Anambra North).
Others are Senators Uche Ekwunife (PDP Anambra Central), Rose Oko (PDP Cross River North ) and Akon Eyakenyi (PDP Akwa Ibom South).
Statistically on membership composition across party lines, with the coming of Olujimi of PDP against Adeyeye of APC, the number of APC senators in the Senate has decreased from 64 to 63 while PDP increases from 43 to 44 and one YPP while the remaining seat which is Kogi West will be decided by the rerun election slated for this Saturday.
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative
- NLC suspends nationwide protest