The Federal Government has condemned the attack on Ogba Zoo and Nature Park in Benin, Edo State, on Sunday, during which three policemen were killed and the Head of the Zoo, Dr. Andy Ehanire, was abducted by the attackers.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, who made the government’s position known in a statement issued on Monday, described the attack on one of the country’s foremost tourist destinations as a big blow to ongoing efforts to lift the tourism sector in the country. Read also: School suspends 5-yr-old boy for Bomb prank
He said, ”The success or failure of a tourism destination depends largely on a safe and secure environment. Incidences such as the attack on the Ogba Zoo and Nature Park therefore negate the concept of tourism as well as government’s determination to develop our tourism industry as a tool for socio-economic development.
”The killing of the three policemen attached to the zoo to provide security for fun seekers, the abduction of the zoo boss and the trauma suffered by the visitors who witnessed the attack are saddening, condemnable and most unfortunate.”
Mohammed said the government will step up security in the entire tourist sites in the country in order to prevent a recurrence, while urging the abductors of Ehanire to quickly release him unharmed. Read also: Adamawa Assembly impeached Deputy Speaker, three others
He also sent his condolences to the families of the policemen who were killed in the attack, and prayed that God will grant repose to their souls.
- Why there is hunger, poverty in Bauchi State— Ex-CAS, Sadique
- 12yrs of exit: Remembering Alh. S.A. Arowona everyday with prayers
- 52 new Pharmacists emerged at UNILORIN
- Reps reject Naira swap extension, threatens Emefiele’s arrest
- UNILORIN: Female varsity don performs first cancer-of-the-eye treatment
- Fuel scarcity bites harder in Dutse as litre hits N340
- New Notes: We will monitor banks’ vaults– CBN
- Rail transport system coming to Ebonyi soon– Umahi
- Art Legendary, Oladejo Akinlonu dies at 60
- Dogara takes over today as new NYSC DG