The Federal Government on Thursday inaugurated the Central Ogbia Regional Water Supply Project in Bayelsa.
The Minister of Water Resources, Mr Suleiman Adamu, who inaugurated the project, said 13 communities, including Otuoke, would benefit from it.
According to him, the Federal Government is committed to complete all abandoned water projects to improve livelihood.
Adamu said adequate water supply for human and livestock production was a crucial aspect of social and economic development.
He said the recently launched roadmap on water resources underscore the need for short and long term strategies for effective and efficient delivery of water to the people.
“The project we are inaugurating today is among the high priority projects for water supply.
“This project commissioning, therefore, further demonstrates that the Buhari administration is committed to completing all viable projects that have positive impact on the lives of our people without any political sentiments,’’ the minister said.
He called on the host communities to take ownership of the water project by maintaining it for improvement of livelihood and reducing water borne diseases.
The Secretary to Bayelsa State Government, Mr Serena Dokubo, commended the Federal Government for the project, saying such project was needed in other communities.
Dokubo said the state would continue to embark on project that would impact on the lives of the people.
Speaking at the occasion, Sen. Ben Murray-Bruce (Bayelsa East), noted that lives were saved every time a water project was inaugurated.
“A lot of children die from consumption of unclean water, a lot fall sick, you have to spend more to take them to the hospital to get cured,’’ Murray-Bruce said.
About 130,000 people were expected to benefit from the N5.9billion project.
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92