By Taiwo Obanwo
The Federal Government says it will soon invite, Anthony Joshua, the newly crowned unified World Heavyweight Boxing Champion to the country.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed disclosed this in a statement issued on Tuesday in Lagos.
He said government has congratulated Joshua, the British professional boxer of Nigerian descent who recently defeated Ukranian Wladimir Klitschko to become the unified World Heavyweight Champion.
Mohammed said Nigeria is proud to be associated with the new champion, whose Nigerian heritage he has publicly acknowledged.
”My heart is in Nigeria, My heart is in Britain. I am a Nigerian man by blood, yes,” the Minister quoted Joshua as saying in a recent
He added that the boxer in the interview, also listed the secret of his success as pounded yam, eba and egusi – all Nigerian cuisine.
The Minister hailed Joshua for his humility, despite his success in boxing.
He also extolled his “undying spirit, coming off the canvas after he was knocked down by Klitschko in the sixth round to win by a Technical Knock Out in the 11th round of their pulsating fight”
Joshua, who made his professional debut in 2013, was born in Watford to a Nigerian mother and a British father of Nigerian and Irish descent.
Some of the early years of the 27-year-old champion were spent in Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State, before he returned to the UK halfway through year seven to join Kings Langley Secondary School.
Growing up on the Meriden Estate in Garston, Hertfordshire, Joshua was called ‘Femi’ by his friends and former teachers.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank