The Federal Government has reversed its decision on asking all bank account holders in the country to register their details again. It also apologized for the planned moved.
Recall that the Federal Government earlier asked all account holders in banks, including insurance companies, to fill and submit a Self-Confirmation form.
The new order was disclosed by the government on its Twitter account, @NigeriaGov, on Thursday.
It said, “This is to notify the general public that all account holders in financial institutions (banks, insurance companies, etc) are required to obtain, complete and submit self-certification forms to their respective financial institutions.”
Failure to do so, FG threatened to block access to defaulters’ accounts or impose a monetary penalty.
Meanwhile, the order to fill another Self-Confirmation form, despite the existing BVN and NIN, had attracted condemnations on social media and traditional media.
In a surprise tweet on Friday, however, the government apologised for the misinformation.
“We apologise for the misleading tweets (now deleted) that went up yesterday, regarding the completion of self-certification forms by Reportable Persons. The message contained in the @firsNigeria Notice does not apply to everybody. FIRS will issue appropriate clarification shortly,” said the tweet.
Also the Federal Inland Revenue Service, in a press statement, explained that only “reportable persons” are expected to submit the form.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport