FG restricts 1,044 persons on security watchlist from travelling in 2018
The federal government on Tuesday disclosed that about fewer than 1,044 Nigerians were stopped by the from traveling out of the country in 2018.
The reason for the decision by the government could not be ascertained, but it was learnt that the affected persons might have been placed on the security watchlist for various criminal offences.
The action which was carried out under the Nigeria Immigration Service migration control and compliance also affected 22,889 foreigners who were refused entry into the country.
In 2017, 31,672 Nigerians who were placed on the watch list of the Nigeria Immigration Service were prevented from travelling out of the country.
Preliminary information from the NIS Annual Report, 2018, obtained by our correspondent on Tuesday, also indicated that the NIS granted 15,186 temporary work permit visas to foreigners and generated over N39 billion.
The report further indicated that 17,616 Nigerians were deported from other countries last year while 339 others were repatriated from various countries.
“Thirty-three cases of stowaways were recorded in the same period,” it stated.
Meanwhile, the immigration service issued 1,227,158 passports and 63,816 residence permits in 2018.
The agency also issued 4,466 ECOWAS residence cards while 177,168 visas were issued at various Nigerian foreign missions.
About 4,529,158 international travellers crossed the nation’s borders, an increase of 22 per cent over the 2017 figure.
A breakdown shows that 78 per cent of the travellers came in by air, 21 per cent by land and one per cent by sea.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Davido announces album release, returns to social media
- President Buhari commissions new office of National Security Adviser (Photos)
- Protesters call for Interim Govt, INEC chairman arrest
- I will never be a member of APC– Fayose
- PHOTO NEWS : Gov. AbdulRazaq visits Iyiola Akogun
- Saudi Arabia releases date on when Ramadan fasting will start
- Gov. AbdulRazaq’s re-election victory is deserving—Nupehood boss
- Peter Obi rigged 2023 election, not Tinubu – Asari Dokubo
- Time for politicking is over — Tinubu
- Breaking….CBN Gov., Godwin Emefiele Raises Interest Rate To 18%