By Amina Isah
The federal government on Tuesday disclosed that teachers are the guiding light in a dark world and the providers of hope for the future of any nation.
The Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, stated this in Abuja during the 2017 World Teachers’ Day celebration with the theme: “Teaching in Freedom- Empowering Nigerian Teachers for The 21st Century.”
According to the Minister: “Teachers are greater than the parents: parents give birth to a child, whereas teachers moulds the child’s personality and provide them with a bright future.
The Minister further re-affirmed that “Peace and security are synonymous to the development of any nation, education which guarantees economic growth and development can only thrive and be positively imparted under the atmosphere of peace, freedom and security.”
He also enumerated the achievements of the buhari administration towards sustaining the growth and development of the teachers and promised the government would do more.
The representative of UNESCO, Mrs. Uchenna Ugorji, in her remark noted that the 2017 celebration theme is apt and quite relevant as the 21st century is characterized By the digital economy requiring digital citizen.
According to her, “Teachers are critical in growing and nurturing of digital citizen Hence necessitating the need to collectively reflect on the status of the Nigerian teachers and the condition under which they operate to be able to make a meaningful impact in education in the 21st century.
The President, Nigerian Union of Teachers, NUT, Comrade Micheal Olukoya, whose speech was delivered by the secretary general, Dr Mike Ikenne, appreciated President Muhammadu Buhari, for sustaining the school-teachers’ award, adding that it has paved way for better improvement of teachers nation wide, as all teachers want to be recipients of the award.
- Leeds records 3-1 victory against Accrington Stanley firstly in 7yrs
- Naira notes hardship: Don’t come to Kano yet, Ganduje tells Buhari
- CBN’s Jan. 31 deadline on naira notes unrealistic— Atiku
- CBN deadline: Buhari speaks on reasons for currencies changes
- INEC extends PVCs collection to Feb. 5
- INEC extends PVCs collection deadline
- Buhari rejoices with 90yr-old female Professor, Bolanle Awe
- Ukraine President Zelensky appoints Oby Ezekwesili as ambassador
- Breaking: Buhari wades into Naira new notes scarcity
- Fuel scarcity worsens, bites harder in FCT