Aminat Isah, Abuja.
The Federal Government has solicited for support for re-election into the Telecommunication Union (ITU), administrative council seat, ROYAL NEWS reports.
The Minister of Communication Technology, Adebayo Shittu, stated this in Abuja on Tuesday ahead of the 2018 Plenipotentiary Conference (PP 18) scheduled to take place in Dubai later this year.
Shittu said: “The ITU Plenipotentiary Conference as you all know is the key event at which lTU Member States decide on the future role of the organisation thereby determining the organization ability to influence and effect the development of Telecommunications/ICT worldwide.
“I understand that the Plenipotentiary conference is the top policy-making body of the ITU held every four years, the conference; Sets the union general policies; Adopts four-year strategic and financial plans and; Elect the senior management team of the organisation, members of council and the members of the Radio Regulation Board (RRB).
“As you are also aware that the ITU will be conducting election into various elective positions at the ITU 2018 Plenipotentiary Conference (PP-18) later this year, I am pleased to inform you that, Nigeria will be presenting itself for re-election into the Administrative Council seat as well as presenting Mr William ljeh for election as Director, Telecommunication Development Bureau of the International Telecommunication Union (lTU) during the ITU 2018 Plenipotentiary Conference to be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirate in October/November. l therefore wish to seek you unflinching support for Nigeria twin candidature.”
He further noted that the calibre of participants present at the Meeting, will bring forth outcome of immense benefit to the African Region and the World at large.
The Executive Chairman of the Nigerian Communication Commission, NCC, Umar Danbatta, in his address said the importance of the gathering cannot be understated when considering the ITU Framework and Plenipotentiary process, adding that the meeting will provide the necessary impetus for Africa to articulate various proposals and agree a common position.
“This meeting sets the tone for our gathering here and I am confident that the deliberations that will take place in the next 3 days will further enhance Africa’s common position at PP-18”, he said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport