The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), has urged the Federal and State Governments to reopen schools to facilitate resumption of academic activities.
Mr Abdullahi Saleh, Secretary General of the association, Zone ‘A’, made the call at a news conference on Monday in Kano..
Saleh said that the continued closure of schools occasioned by the COVID-19 pandemic could affect performances and triggered population of out of school children in the country.
He stressed the need for the Federal Government to consider the reopening of schools in view of the lifting of embargo on domestic air travels and planned elections in some states.
The scereatary said: “we fear that the continued school closure, might eventually lead to an increase in out-of-school children in most parts of the country.
“Pupils and students sent back home are already mixing with some people who have not been to school.
“Some are drug addicts and they can influence the students negatively.
“This is a great concern to us; we are worried because while the government is trying to reduce the number of out-of-school children, others are probably going to join them.
“We hereby inform all our members that prior to the meetings we had with security agencies, the earlier planned protest is outrightly cancelled.
“But without any conditions, we urge the government to tell us precisely when schools will be reopened.
”The government should come up with a timeline of how to reopen the schools and the students assures to abide by the terms and conditions.”
Sale noted that the students association in collaboration with relevant security agencies and stakeholders would explore legal means to hasten reopening of the schools.
According to Saleh, Zone ‘A’ of the association comprises Kano; Kaduna, Jigawa, Katsina, Kebbi, Sokoto, Zamfara, Bauchi, Gombe, and Niger States.
- ICPC: D’banj breaks silence after release
- Tinubu better than Peter Obi, but he’s a drug lord– Reno
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity