The federal government is committed to improving the infrastructure of all railway stations along the Warri-Itakpe road in order to alleviate the plight of passengers who use rail services on this route.
Dr Magdalene Ajani, Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Transport, made the pledge on Saturday in Lokoja, as she addressed reporters after inspecting facilities at train stations along the route.
Ajani said power supply was the main challenge the stations face, making it difficult to power stations with boreholes and other equipment.
“The main problem we have on the Itape-Warri railway line is power and those who know the case know that the lengthening process has been blocked.
“And we are trying to resolve this issue with the Federal Department of Justice and government procurement so that we can go on and make sure we have some light.”
“Most of the stations here have boreholes, but the boreholes need to be powered by light so that we can pump water to the reservoirs and serve the stations,” Ajani said.
She said the situation was a huge challenge which was the reason for the visit, to offer them solutions.
“And in terms of solving this electricity problem, I know that we awarded the contract to the company Mikano to supply generators to all the stations so that the places can be powered so that the water can flow in the stations. .
“And back home, we need to find out why the delay in installing these generators.”
Ajani said the visit aimed to further assess other challenges based on passenger complaints in order to capture what could not be done in 2021, to include them in the 2022 budget.
According to her, the government is also planning to work with private sector operators to build hotels at all stations for those who may arrive late and those who intend to catch up on morning trains to their destinations.
“The government can’t do everything, but we try to make sure that individuals can come and partner with us and build these hotels in the stations.
“It’s about solving the hosting issues for our customers,” she said. (NAN)
- Why I stripped naked to pray for Tinubu’ victory– Olaiya Igwe
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution