By Hammed Salawu, Minna
The National President of the Institute of Health Service Administrators of Nigeria, (IHSAN), Dr. Atolani Oluboyede, has stated that the nations should not wait for an impro ved economy before investing heavily on the health care sector, but invest on the sector improved economy.
He stated this at the week during the National conference and annual General Meeting of the Institute in Minna, that the health care financing was a topical issue all over the world because the because the first wealth of any nation is its health
“There is empirical evidence that the health of a nation significantly enhances the economic development and Vice versa” he stated, while adding that “the way a country finances its health care system is a key determinant of the health of its citizenry”.
The National President speaking against the backdrop of the theme of the conference, “Health Care financing in Nigeria – strategic evaluation of alternatives and options” posited that, “Nonetheless, it has been enunciated that the pursuit of better health should not await an improved economy, rather, measures to improve health will themselves contribute to the economic growth”.
He stated that selection of adequate and efficient method of financing in addition to organizational delivery structure for health services is essential if a country is set to achieve its national health objectives.
The National President decried the low expenditure on health care with less than 5 percent as against 15 percent of the entire budget as bench mark given by the World Health Organization WHO.
He stated that, the time as come for government at all level in Nigeria to see financing in health care sector as an investment which required a lot of political commitment for it to be profitable.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents