The Federal Government has been urged to increase budget for health research, saying the current financing was inadequate, ROYAL NEWS reports.
A Medical Researcher, Prof. Babatunde Salako, made the call on Tuesday in a lecture organised by Faculty of Clinical Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Ilorin (UNILORIN).
The don, who is also the Director-General and Chief Executive of Nigerian Institute of Medical Research (NIMR), Yaba, Lagos State, spoke on the topic: “Nigeria Research Landscape: Strategies for Building a Successful Academic Career.”
The professor of medicine also stressed the need for medical research in the country, emphasising that “it is the only approach that will ensure significant funding for researchers.
“Nobody, other than Nigerian researchers, is better placed to understand and solve Nigeria’s health problems.”
He also emphasised the need for mentoring in research, good time management by lecturers, collaborative research and the need to explore non-government sources of funding for research in Nigeria.
Prof. Olanrewaju Adedoyin, the Chairman of the occasion, and Provost of College of Health Sciences, UNILORIN, described Prof. Salako as “a gentleman and researcher per excellence.”
He commended the professor for sharing from his wealth of experience and indicated the interest of the Faculty of Health Science of UNILORIN to collaborate with NIMR.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections