World football governing body, FIFA, is confident that a stadium ban for female fans in Iran will soon be lifted, its president said on Friday.
Iran’s influential clergy believes women have no place in football stadiums when men are over-excited and vulgar slogans are shouted.
The sports ministry had suggested a family-only stand in Iranian football stadiums but the clergy rejected the idea.
“I have received pledges that women in Iran will soon be given access to football stadiums,” FIFA president, Gianni Infantino, told a conference on football equality and inclusion in Zurich.
Infantino had been present on Thursday for the Tehran derby between Esteghlal and Persepolis.
“”I hope that the experience I have had can help many women in the world,” Infantino added.
“”In a great country such as Iran, more can certainly be done,” he said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- FAAN inaugurates App for airport taxi
- LASU aims to become best varsity in W’Africa — VC
- Poverty not for any true child of God— RCCG Pastor
- Tinubu was never a minister, Osinbajo was commissioner when I was Speaker— Amaechi
- With your support, I will win – Tinubu tells Bauchi delegates
- Why Kano APC Delegates Should Vote Me — Amaechi
- APC Governorship aspirant resigns from party
- Court sentences 27yr-old student for illicit drug trafficking
- Breaking….. Buhari orders embattled Accountant-General’s suspension
- Deborah: Stop escalation of jungle justice across Nigeria, govt urged