Fire has raised a shopping mall, Phill-Hallmark Shopping Plaza, in Benin, the Edo State capital, destroying several goods worth millions of naira.
Meanwhile, Edo State Government says that full investigation would be conducted into the cause of the fire that gutted Super Mart, the only ultra modern shopping mall in Benin.
Gov Godwin Obaseki said this on Sunday when he inspected the mall.
He also said investigation would be conducted into the activities of the state fire service.
Obaseki who was obviously shocked at the damage done to the mall described it as a major disaster.
According to him, ”This incident happening at this time of the year is a catastrophe.
” I have asked for written report and investigation into the cause of the fire.
” We will also investigate the claim by an official of the state Fire service on the allegation of lack of equipment.
” Because I understand that trucks were distributed by the NDDC and the State Government during the last administration”.
Earlier the Managing Director of the Super Mart Mr Philip Edigin said that the fire started at about 12 mid night.
He disclosed that all effort to get the State fire service to come to their rescue proved abortive as the fire service told him they have no diesel to work.
He said he was later able to get help from the Nigeria Air force fire service, IDSL NPDC and UNIBEN, before the State fire service came at about 6am.
Meanwhile a supervisor in the State Fire Service Mr Franklin Agbonlahor appealed to government for urgent upgrade of facilities and equipment of the fire service station.
He said the service lacks equipment to work when called upon during fire emergency.
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List
- TESCOM: 7, 241 Oyo Teachers, Non-Teaching Staff Write 2022 Promotion Exams
- FG promotes 30 directorate cadre, others in Police Affairs Ministry
- 2024 budget: Army mulls unmanned aerial vehicle command
- Alleged Abduction: EFCC, DSS Risk Contempt Proceedings In Court Over Emefiele
- Senate frowns as NCoS feeds dogs better than inmates
- NAPTIP laments tracking machine as woman sells 120 children