Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on Tuesday, June 1, signed a law prohibiting transgender women and girls from competing in girls and women’s sports at public schools in his southern US state.
“We believe that is very important that the integrity of these competitions are preserved,” said the Republican governor as he signed the measure into law at a Christian school in the northeastern city of Jacksonville.
“In Florida, girls are going to play girls’ sports, and boys are going to play boys’ sports,” he said. “We’re gonna go based on biology, not based on ideology when we’re doing sports.”
The law, which goes into effect on July 1, requires girls and young women to state their biological sex through their birth certificate in order to compete in a team.
DeSantis signed the measure on the first day of LGBTQ Pride Month.
“Appalling,” tweeted Florida state representative Carlos Smith, a Democrat who identifies as Latino and gay.
“First day of LGBTQ Pride Month and @GovRonDeSantis signs SB 1028 which bans trans kids from school sports… This fuels transphobia and puts vulnerable kids at risk for no good reason,” he wrote.
The Human Rights Campaign, a group defending the rights of the LGBTQ community, announced said it would challenge the measure in court.
“Gov. DeSantis and Florida lawmakers are legislating based on a false, discriminatory premise that puts the safety and well-being of transgender children on the line,” wrote Campaign president Alphonso David.
“Transgender kids are kids; transgender girls are girls. Like all children, they deserve the opportunity to play sports with their friends and be a part of a team,” David said.
Florida now becomes the most populous US state to ban transgender women from female sports.
“In Florida, girls are going to play girls sports and boys are going to play boys sports,” Gov. Ron DeSantis said as he signed the bill into law at a Christian academy in Jacksonville. “We’re going to make sure that that’s the reality.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections