Four killed in Taraba communal clash
Four persons have been feared killed in a violent clash between the Kuteps and the Hausas in Takum town, Takum Local Government of Taraba State.
According to PREMIUM TIMES, the clash took place on Sunday afternoon when youths from the Kuteb tribe allegedly attacked some Hausa men, killing four of them, residents claimed.
“Both communities mobilised against each other, thereby creating tension in Takum”. Ishaya Angyu told this newspaper.
He said the incident happened at a boundary community between Ussa Local Government and Takum before it escalated to Takum town.
“Right now, I am in Takum, and there is serious tension, but soldiers are controlling the situation,” he said.
“I can confirm to you that approximately four people have been killed, but we do not have the full statistics of the casualties as of now,” Mr Angyu said.
Another resident of the area, who pleaded anonymity, said, “The violence started as a result of frequent attacks by the Kutebs on other tribes, especially the Fulanis.”
He said if the situation were not immediately controlled, it would eventually become a religious crisis.
When contacted by PREMIUM TIMES, the caretaker committee chairman of Takum LGA, Boyi Manja, said: “I am not in my local government, and I don’t want to give half-baked information; when I am in Takum, I will get the details,” he said.
As of the time of filing this report, the Taraba State Police Command said it had not received a brief on the matter.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Tinubu commiserates with India over deadly train crash
- N2bn: Ex-Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen reacts to rumoured EFCC’s arrest
- EFCC grills Buhari’s minister Pauline Tallen
- UN appoints Akinwumi Adesina, Muhtar, Nwuneli into new positions
- We won’t fix petrol prices again – NMDPRA
- Court affirms Iyorchia Ayu’s sack as PDP National Chairman
- Importer to CBN: Tell the truth, Naira has been devalued
- NLC to commence nationwide strike on Wednesday if new petrol price isn’t reversed
- Breaking….. Tinubu announces critical appointments, Gbajabiamila, Akume, Hadejia make list
- FG to fix one refinery before December — Kyari