Connect with us

Metro

Fresh killings: Defend yourself, Ortom tells Benue people

Published

on

Fresh killings: Defend yourself, Ortom tells Benue people

Samuel Ortom

By Aboje Anefu, Makurdi

BENUE State Governor, Samuel Ortom, has expressed grief over the sustained invasion and killing of Benue people by Fulani herdsmen.

The governor who was reacting to the recent murderous activities of Fulani herdsmen in Benue with scores hacked to death in unprovoked attacks called on Benue communities to rise up and defend themselves.

According to a statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary CPS Nathaniel Ikyur and made available to newsmen in Makurdi on Wednesday, the governor’s call was not unconnected to the coordinated attacks on Guma, Kwande and Gwer West local government areas of the state on Tuesday, March 29th, 2022.

“A report from the team leader of security agencies in Kasekyo near Tse Torkula village in Guma local government said that suspected Fulani herders at about 0930 hours on Tuesday, March 29th, 2022 shot one Turner Ajar and an unidentified elderly man who were on a motorcycle going to the farm.

“The team of Agro Rangers who were on patrol in the area ran into the attack, unfortunately, the victims had already been killed. Their corpses were taken and deposited at a hospital in Gbajimba, Guma local government area of the state.

“In Kpankeeke, a suburb on the outskirts of Naka, headquarters of Gwer West local government, gory images of persons killed by another set of herdsmen littered the streets.

“The Agro Rangers team were alerted and they moved to the location alongside the Army and Police.

“The patrol team found the body of one Ahemba Apeelu, an aged man at a sawmill from Saav/Ukusu council Ward who was slaughtered and his throat slit,” Ortom said.

The governor said others identified to have been killed by the invaders include Tersoo Yasough and that of a young lady known as Martha Ukange.

“Eye witnesses alleged that the herders were dressed in military camouflage as a decoy.

“Another body of a young man yet to be identified was later sighted along the road. Another body yet to be identified was recovered too,” the statement stated.

He said the search for more persons who are said to be missing is ongoing in the affected communities.


 

Facebook Comments Box

DOWNLOAD ROYAL NEWS eCOPY March 28, 2022


Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.

Contact: info@royalnews.com.ng

Download ROYAL NEWS app

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.