The FRSC Sector Commander in the state, Mr Zubairu Mato, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Kano.
He also said that the command arrested 20,193 persons for various traffic offences during the period under review.
Mato, however, said that there was a 6.1 per cent reduction in the rate accident during the period under review when compared to 2019 when 358 road accidents were recorded.
He explained that the road crashes involved 2, 440 persons, representing 2.8 per cent decrease, compared to 2, 511 victims involved in accidents in 2019.
“The number of people injured during the road traffic accidents in 2019 was 1, 260, while in 2020, 1, 284 were injured, representing an increase of 1.9 per cent.
“Those who died in the accidents in 2019 were 234, while in 2020, 213 died, representing a decrease of 8.9 per cent,” Mayo said.
He attributed the significant decrease in fatalities from roads crashes in 2020 to the command’s efforts and sensitisation activities across the state.
“Takai Local Government Area of Kano State is one of the accident-prone areas in the state.We established road camp to reduce road traffic accident within the area.
“We stationed an emergency ambulance, two officers and 10 Marshals to control speed, educate drivers and attend to any crash on the road during the period,’’ he said.
The sector commander said that speeding, dangerous overtaking, route violation, negligence by drivers and the use of worn out tyres were some of the causes of accidents in the state. (NAN)
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs