Pan-Yoruba group, Afenifere, has reacted to the statement released by the Area Consultative Forum, in which they warned the SouthWest governors to stop the attacks on Fulanis in their states as it can lead to reprisal attacks in the North which in the long run can lead to a repeat of the 1966 civil war.
In a statement released by its publicity secretary, Yinka Odumakin, Afenifere said its attention was drawn to the hypocritical tears of the AFCF over clashes in Ibarapa Local Government Area of Oyo State occasioned by the ”inimical activities of Fulani herdsmen against indigenous Yoruba people”.
The group frown at ACF’s comment warning against a repeat of the 1966 civil war, insisting that the group shouldn’t use war to threaten the Yorubas. The statement in part reads
“While we have gone to a great length to sue for peace and have appealed to our pained people to be law-abiding even with the daily provocations of the Fulani and harassment of our people, we frown at the very arrogant and insulting ACF statement, especially their reference to the event of 1966.
We must make it clear to them that they cannot threaten us with a war at this stage as we will not provoke war but never are we going to run for anybody on our land.
We are miffed that a body like ACF that has never shown any remorse over the killing of our people can open their mouths anyhow now because there are consequences for the irresponsible actions of their people.
We advise them to call their criminals to order and not expect our people to sheepishly wait to be killed by those who value cow lives more than human beings.”
We do not want a repeat of 1966 event but if there are people plotting such event again, the rain will be over their heads.”
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung