National Assembly will on Wednesday July 8, hold a special hearing on Sexual and Gender-Based Violence, SGBV in Nigeria.
The session is expected to be co-chaired by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila and the Deputy President of the Senate, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege.
According to a statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Deputy Senate President, Yomi Odunuga the session, will hold by 5pm in a joint session of the Senate and House Committees on Human Rights, Health, Women’s Affairs, Police Affairs, NGOs and the Judiciary.
According to the joint panels, the special session will hold in two parts: a virtual participation by the public, followed by a closed session to facilitate survivor testimonies.
There have been rampant cases of Sexual and Gender-Based Violence across the country in recent times, with some advocating for stiffer penalties for offenders.
This special hearing will provide an opportunity for SGBV survivors to give first-hand account of their experiences, with a view to highlighting the current gaps in the provision of services and access to justice for survivors.
The aim is to gather feedback that will support the National Assembly’s effort to develop and implement a clear plan to address systemic challenges and obstacles that impede access to justice and comprehensive support services for survivors.
The committees are therefore encouraging key stakeholders and members of the public who wish to follow the proceedings to join the live stream on Zoom: Meeting ID: 828 7520 947; live streaming on: Facebook: SpeakerGbaja, Twitter: @SpeakerGbaja, Instagram: @SpeakerGbaja, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/omoagege1/ and Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ovieomoagege
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment