Germany’s Social Democratic party has agreed to form another “grand coalition” government with the conservative CDU, seeing Angela Merkel stay in office for a fourth term and putting an end to five months of political uncertainty in the country.
Two thirds of the membership backed the deal — a wider margin than expected, according to a party official.
After an inconclusive election, Germany and Europe saw months of political uncertainty and the European Union now looks to its largest country for leadership.
Acting SPD leader Olaf Scholz said at the party’s Berlin headquarters: “The vast majority of SPD members followed the party leadership’s suggestion.”
“We now have clarity: the SPD will join the next German government,” he added.
Using high-speed letter opening machines, SPD leaders worked through the night alongside volunteers counting ballots at party headquarters in Berlin.
Almost half a million party members were eligible to vote.
A rejection of the coalition could have meant another election or a minority government – something unprecedented in post-war Germany.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel congratulated the Social Democrats (SPD) on a “clear result” after a majority of SPD members voted in favour of joining another coalition with her.
“I congratulate the SPD on this clear result and look forward to continuing to work together for the good of our country,” Merkel said on her Christian Democrats’ (CDU) Twitter feed.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders
- Minister promises NDC more supports for effective performance
- 2023: Why I want to contest for Ilorin West/ Asa Reps— Ajia
- BREAKING…. Many school children, others affected as explosion rocks Kano