The Kwara State Governor, Dr. Abdulfatah Ahmed, has advocated a thorough reform of local government administration in the country in order to ensure tangible opportunities for the third-tier of government to meet its obligations to the people.
The governor who made the call during the swearing-in of the newly appointed Transition Implementation Committee, (TIC) , Chairmen yesterday in Ilorin, observed that what is required at the local government areas is true reform as against the autonomy being currently agitated by Nigerians.
Dr Ahmed also argued that the desired autonomy will yield little or no fruit unless the local government system is reformed and strengthened along economic lines.
According to the governor, “granting autonomy to local government with highly limited economic potential is more likely to complicate rather than resolve the challenges confronting such local governments.
“What we need is a reform that provides tangible opportunities for local government to meet salary and project obligations.”
The governor assured the councils of his administration’s support to meet its obligations, stressing that beyond autonomy, local government areas would be strengthened to exploit all economic opportunities available for their long-term sustenance and viability.
“Our government is also determined to bequeath a local government system that is robust, efficient, autonomous and inclusive” the governor explained.
Responding on behalf of the newly swore in Transition Implementation Committee(TIC) , Chairmen, the Chairperson of Ilorin South Local Government Area, Hajia Funmilayo Salahudeen expressed gratitude to the governor for given them the opportunity to serve.
She assured the governor of their resolved to justify the confidence reposed in them by being steadfast, dedicated and committed to their statutory duties.
- Kwara Proposes N239bn Revised Budget To Assembly
- Gamji Association Tasks Youths To Emulate Virtues Of Founding Fathers
- Fagbemi dissociates FG from N50bn plea bargain with Emefiele
- Nigeria @63: Peaceful co-existence is germane for nat’l growth— Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Nigeria @63: Tinubu approves new minimum wage for FG workers
- (PHOTOS) Three Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms In Benin
- Opinion: Celebrating a quintessential ex-Defence Minister, Gen. BS Magashi @ 74
- Tinubu for nationwide address on Nigeria @ 63
- Nigeria At 63: We Are On Track For Economic Recovery, Says Obasa
- Nigeria Undoubtedly On Path To Greatness Despite Challenges –Lawan