The News Agency of Nigeria , reports that Juta, who was governor in 1983 during Nigeria’s 2nd Republic, died on Saturday in Yola, after a brief illness.
NAN also reports that the former governor, under the the platform of Great Nigeria People’s Party (GNPP), was Nigeria’s Ambassador to Zimbabwe between 2000 and 2004.
Fintiri, in a statement issued by his Press Secretary, Mr Humwashi Wonosikou, on Saturday in Yola, described the ex-envoy’s death as a tremendous loss to the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), and the entire state.
The governor said he received the news of the elder statesman’s demise with a heavy heart, because he was a committed and versatile politician, who brought his knowledge and ingenuity to bear on his calling.
He said that the late Juta’s outstanding contributions to the growth and development of defunct Gongola, and subsequently Adamawa; and indeed Nigeria, will forever be remembered.
“History will remember Amb. Wilberforce Juta as a great politician and a true son of Adamawa. His legacy will live on.
“I and the people, have been beneficiaries of the deceased’s great wisdom and service over the years.
“In the years I knew him, his moral and physical strength, and dedication to service, were an inspiration to me” Fintiri said.
He said Adamawa felt his impact in various sectors, especially in education and politics.
“I will miss not only his wise counsel, but also his person and all he stood for” Fintiri added.
He condoled with the family, the people of Adamawa and PDP, saying that Amb. Juta was a great man.
Finitiri prayed God to grant the deceased eternal rest, and his family, the grace to bear the loss.
The governor said that as a mark of honour to the late elder statesman, he had declared a three-day mourning from Saturday Aug. 15, 2020, and flags were to fly at half-mast.
Late Juta is survived by his wife, four children, and many grandchildren.
- INEC investigates viral video of extortion during PVCs collection in Enugu
- Buhari inaugurates 10mw solar plant in Kano State
- Court remands woman for pouring hot water on her co-wife in Kwara
- UNA-USA Ambassador, Lady Tee Thompson applauds KAM Holding for promoting SDGs
- Why I am not allocating land in FCT – Minister
- Nigeria records 244 confirmed cases of Lassa fever, 37 deaths in 16 states and FCT
- 2023: Kwara Hausa/Fulani community adopts NNPP guber candidate
- LASU Senate elects Omobitan new Deputy VC
- Abuja /Kaduna train to resume operations on Tuesday
- Diezani drags EFCC to court to recover seized assets