Plateau Youths for Change has hailed the Plateau state governor Simon Lalong for his efforts at tackling illegal mining in the state .
The group in a statement made available to newmen in Jos and signed by its Public Relations officer Danbaba Pam also hailed security operatives for arresting over 20 illegal miners in the state .
“These miners are illegal. Government did not give them permission to do this, they are economic saboteurs .
It is a fact that illegal miners activities had become dangerous and detrimental to the environment in Plateau
“ As a group we say the activities of illegal miners have become a cause of concern to the state government and concern citizens .
“We call on government to no longer tolerate activities of such miners considering the devastating effects on lives and the environment.
“we call on government to commence arresting and prosecuting offenders.
“Government should not allow people to keep threatening the environment in the name of mining; the state has many unclaimed mining ponds littered around and won’t allow that to continue,” he said.
The group commended the state governor, Simon Lalong, for threatening said government to sanction any person found to have connived with the miners to exploit the community.
As a group we commend our governor Simon Lalong and stand by him in the fight against illegal mining .
The group also said from what we gathered the the only source of portable water of the host community of the mineral had been contaminated due to mining activities and in 2014, this community lost over 10 people due to contaminated water following activities of the illegal miners,” the statement further reads .
It could be recalled that the Federal government had on Monday in Plateau warned that it will no longer tolerate any act of sabotage on the nation’s economy.
Minister of mines and steel development, Kayode Fayemi,gave the warning when he led the national security adviser, General Babagana Monguno rtd and Governor Simon Lalong of Plateau state on a fact finding visit to illegal mining sites at Campania Zurak in Wase local government area of Plateau
The Minister and the National security adviser, directed for the immediate closure of all the mining sites while staff of the mining company including Chinese nationals where apprehended and taking to Abuja for interrogation.
Governor, Simon Lalong,had said the measure marks the beginning of the fight against illegal mining in Plateau .
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo