Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha has announced the establishment of six new tertiary institutions in the state.
Okorocha, who made the announcement in a meeting with newsmen in Owerri on Monday, said the step was part of plans to revolutionize the education sector in Imo.
The new institutions are University of Engineering, Onuimo, University of Agriculture, Aboh Mbaise, Ihitte Uboma College of Education and Ehime Polytechnic.
He added that National High School Aroundizogu would become a College of Education while Ahiara Technical College would be upgraded to a Polytechnic.
He also announced plans to change the location of some ministries to decentralize development in the state.
He said the Ministry of Tourism would be moved to Oguta while the Ministry of Niger Delta would be moved to Ohaji Egbema Local Government Area.
The said that the Ministry of Agriculture would be relocated to Ngor Okpala Local government Area, while the Ministry of Sports would be moved to Dan Anyiam Stadium.
He also announced the cancellation of two days off given to workers in the state civil service for farming to help cushion the effects of the economic recession on them.
According to him, the end of recession in the country has brought about significant improvement thereby ending the need for other avenues to supplement income.
He advised workers to resume their normal work schedules, adding that failure to comply would result in their immediate dismissal.
He also advised Imo people to be wise in the election of the next governor of the state and warned them against heating up the polity unnecessarily.
“Choose your next governor wisely, ensure you know his track record before you elect him; if you elect a greedy, fraudulent or power drunk person, it will surely manifest.
“Becoming a governor will not change a bad person, it will only bring those attributes to the fore,” he advised.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents