Ogundipe was removed at the council’s meeting held Wednesday at the headquarters of the National Universities Commission, Abuja.
In attendance were at least 11 council members, the VC included, majority of whom voted for his removal.
Mr Ogundipe was accused of financial impropriety and gross misconduct.
Mikhail Mumuni, the media adviser to chairman of the governing council, Wale Babalakin, confirmed the development.
He, however, declined further comments, saying only the registrar of the university can provide details of the development.
The conflict between the university’s governing council and the management reached a head in March when its week-long 2020 convocation was abruptly cancelled just before it started.
The cancellation, which was ordered by the NUC, Nigerian universities’ regulatory body, was in response to a directive by the education minister, Adamu Adamu.
Mr Adamu gave the directive in response to a letter written to the vice-chancellor by the council chairman, accusing Mr Ogundipe of failing to share important details about the ceremony with the council.
The exchanges between the two officials were condemned by relevant stakeholders, including graduands, parents, the alumni and staff.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo