In his speech during the inauguration of the court on Thursday, Chief Judge of Oyo State, Justice Munta Abimbola said the court was established to enforce the rights of the children, custodian matters and violence against persons, among others.
“Whenever any legislative house enacts any law, the law is dead in the law book but judges are the living oracles that give life to that law and this will be done in the court.
“The Child Rights Law was enacted in 2006 but no Family Court was established to enforce the rights of children.
“The establishment of this court will reduce the volume of cases in the other courts, particularly the ones involving family issues,” Abimbola said.
On his part, Speaker of Oyo State House of Assembly, Adebo Ogundoyin, said the court would not only reform but bring development to the state.
“The legislature is presently working on Violence Against Persons Bill, Child Offender Bill, Public Defender Bill and Sexual and Gender Harassment Bill; this is to protect the rights of the children.
“This court will help to reduce the incident of rape and domestic violence,” Ogundoyin said.
Inaugurating the court, Governor Seyi Makinde said the synergy among the executive, judiciary and legislature made the inauguration of the Family Court possible.
“You may recall that the road map of this administration is to accelerate development in Oyo State.
“We will play our part to strengthen the law; the Child Rights Act was domesticated in Oyo State in 2006.
“The law was domesticated but the court was not established until today, 14 years after,” Makinde said.
The governor urged indigenes and residents to support the efforts of his administration to achieve holistic development of Oyo State.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal