A group, Kwara Coalition for Good Governance and Accountability (Kwara-CGGA) has called on the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to probe a N1bn loan the Kwara State Government allegedly secured from a bank on the eve of the postponed general elections.
In a statement by its Secretary General, Hassan Omoiya on Sunday in Ilorin, the group was of the view that the loan was suspect and in bad faith.
Omoiya declared that his group has intelligence that the state government obtained the loan on 13th February from a first generation bank using the remittance of Kwara State VAT allocation due in February and March 2019 as collateral.
“We urge the EFCC and indeed the Federal Ministry of Finance to determine the appropriateness of utilization of credit facility of N1 billion naira by Kwara State Govt at the twilight of general election.
“We also called on EFCC to probe the use of VAT Account as collateral for the credit facility in the absence of prior approval and authorisation from Debt Management Office and Federal Ministry of Finance in tandem with extant laws and regulation on granting of loan to State Governments.
“It is our expectation that your investigation will extend to individuals and corporate institutions that participated in the unwholesome act with a view of prosecuting the affected individuals and institutions with attendant cost and penalty,” the statement added
The statement said it was clear that the loan would be used to prosecute election for the ruling PDP in Kwara State.
“It seems the state government remote-controlled by Senator Bukola Saraki doesn’t want to change its ways despite efforts to end misuse of public funds by the President Muhammadu Buhari administration,” Omoiya said.
Facebook Comments Box
- KAM Holding Gets SON Applause, Bags 6 MANCAP Certificates (PHOTOS)
- ASUU: Lectures receive full salaries for November, without arrears
- Osun Speaker, Owoeye meets Governor Adeleke
- Adeleke tasks panels to recover ”looted” state assets
- Lawmaker assures release of detained Nigerian lady in UAE
- Qatar says 500 death toll of World Cup workers recorded
- Justice Nyako seeks appointment of more judges for speedy justice dispensation
- Tinubu in Abuja not in the United States says APC PCC
- Aishatu Gobir delivers UNILORIN 219th Inaugural Lecture Dec. 1
- Late KWASU VC: University Releases Appreciation Notification