Concerned Citizens of Nigeria Group, (CCNG) has called for the immediate resumption of a suit involving the former Governor of Abia State, Chief Theodore Orji, in a case of an alleged misappropriation of over N2.6 billion belonging to the state government between March, 18 2003 to December 2005.
ROYAL NEWS reports that, Orji, who is now the Senator representing Abia Central Senatorial District in the Senate was the chief of staff to former Governor Orji Kalu between 1999 and 2007.
The group in a letter to the chairman, Presidential Advisory Committee against Corruption, Professor Itse Sagay, stated that the former governor and other government officials from the state were charged to court in a case no: FHC/L/ 45C/2007 before the Federal High Court, Lagos, but he was granted bail by the Court of appeal, Lagos on May, 29 2007 when he became governor.
CCNG in the letter dated August 2, 2017, signed by Mr. Taiwo Akinyele, stated that the prosecution of the former governor was stalled as result of his immunity by operation of law.
The group also pointed out that two years after the immunity of the former governor ceased, the prosecution of the case against him has not resumed till date.
It further alleged that no effort had been made by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (the prosecuting Agency), the office of the Attorney General of the Federation and the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court to prosecute Orji as required by law and in consonance with the anti-corruption drive of the Federal Government.
The letter read in part, “The non-prosecution/recovery of the said huge sums of money gives credence to the fact that the former governor is untouchable and above the law of the land as he has flippantly boasted in several quarters.”
The group, which stated that it wrote the letter in line with the “whistle -blowing” policy and fight against corruption of the Federal Government, urged Sagay to intervene urgently and ensure the resumption and prosecution of the 100 charges against the former governor in the interest of justice and the people of the state.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption