By Mustapha Ajibola
The Campaign for Democracy (CD) has urged the National Assembly to confirm Mr Ibrahim Magu as the substantive chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
CD National Publicity Secretary, Mr Dede Uzor, made the call in a statement issued to newsmen in Onitsha on Thursday.
Uzor said the appeal became pertinent following the startling successes and commitments so far recorded in the fight against corruption in the country.
“So far, he has recorded a great feat in tracking down corrupt politicians and in the recovery of billions of Naira stolen by corrupt Nigerians and their foreign collaborators.
“His introduction of whistle blowing into the system is another master stroke in the fight against corruption; such a policy had led to the recovery of over N150 billion stashed away to different hidden mansions,” he said.
Uzor argued that all the monies and goods stashed away by corrupt politicians, political appointees and top civil servants were instrumental to the current economic recession in the country.
He expressed confidence that once all the money stashed away were recovered, the country’s economy will bounce back to sound footing.
However, he advised that the recovered monies should be channeled towards free education from primary to university levels, youth empowerment and creation of jobs for the teeming unemployed youths in the country.
The national publicity secretary also said the recovered wealth should equally be channeled towards revamping the power and health sectors.
Uzor urged the NASS and other anti-graft agencies to work in harmony with EFCC in order to stem the tide of corrupt practices in the country.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo