By Mustapha Ajibola
The Campaign for Democracy (CD) has urged the National Assembly to confirm Mr Ibrahim Magu as the substantive chairman of Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
CD National Publicity Secretary, Mr Dede Uzor, made the call in a statement issued to newsmen in Onitsha on Thursday.
Uzor said the appeal became pertinent following the startling successes and commitments so far recorded in the fight against corruption in the country.
“So far, he has recorded a great feat in tracking down corrupt politicians and in the recovery of billions of Naira stolen by corrupt Nigerians and their foreign collaborators.
“His introduction of whistle blowing into the system is another master stroke in the fight against corruption; such a policy had led to the recovery of over N150 billion stashed away to different hidden mansions,” he said.
Uzor argued that all the monies and goods stashed away by corrupt politicians, political appointees and top civil servants were instrumental to the current economic recession in the country.
He expressed confidence that once all the money stashed away were recovered, the country’s economy will bounce back to sound footing.
However, he advised that the recovered monies should be channeled towards free education from primary to university levels, youth empowerment and creation of jobs for the teeming unemployed youths in the country.
The national publicity secretary also said the recovered wealth should equally be channeled towards revamping the power and health sectors.
Uzor urged the NASS and other anti-graft agencies to work in harmony with EFCC in order to stem the tide of corrupt practices in the country.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption