Some unknown gunmen on Sunday opened fire and disrupted a music festival in Las Vegas, leaving at least two people dead and 24 injured.
At least two people were killed and some 24 wounded when a gunman went on a shooting spree on the famous Las Vegas Strip, police and US media reports said.
Police said that the shooter was taken “down” after officers swarmed over the famous boulevard following reports of multiple shots being fired from the Mandalay Bay casino resort towards thousands of fans at a country music concert.
He added that, “At this time we do have a suspect down,” Las Vegas police officer Steve Gomez told reporters, without elaborating. We have numerous victims right now.”
While police did not immediately give a figure for the number of dead, CNN reported that at least two people had been killed. Several local news outlets put the number of injured at up to 24.
Pictures taken at the scene showed revelers cowering in the street or running in terror, as well what appeared to be several bodies lying prone on the ground.
A local hospital was taking in “several” people with gunshot wounds, University Medical Center spokeswoman Danita Cohen told the local Sun newspaper. Read also: Army to launch ‘Operation Crocodile Smile’ in Ogun
Video footage circulating on social media showed a large crowd enjoying a concert as part of the Route 91 country music festival just outside the casino before what sounded like volleys of automatic gunfire halted the performance.
“We heard (what) sounded like a glass breaking, so you looked around to see what’s going on and then heard a pop, pop, pop,” Monique Dekerf told CNN.
“You’d think for a moment okay we’re fine, there’s no more gunfire, then it starts again.”
Her sister said it sounded like “the shots were coming from the right side … it sounded like they were right beside us too … it was right there.”
A witness also told local TV news station KLAS that he saw someone several stories high firing hundreds of shots into a crowd of people. Police however denied reports of multiple shooters. Read also: I’m not proud of Nigeria @ 57, Ex-Minister gives shocking revelations
“At this time we do not believe there are any more shooters,” the department wrote on Twitter.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment