Hungary’s Foreign Minister on Tuesday said Ukraine’s decision to bar the entry of two Hungarian government officials over what it called meddling in local elections was “pathetic and nonsense”.
In a video message on his Facebook page, Peter Szijjarto said Budapest had not received formal notice of the Ukrainian ban.
In the video, Szijjarto welcomed the victory of Hungarian candidates in Ukrainian local elections, which he said meant Hungarians’ opinion would have to be considered for the future of the region bordering Hungary, which has a large ethnic Hungarian minority.
He said Ukraine had taken “unfriendly steps” towards Hungary, by summoning the Hungarian ambassador and deciding to ban the entry of the two officials.
“With this Ukraine sends the message that it has given up on Hungarian support for its Euroatlantic integration efforts,” Szijjarto said.
It was not the first time that Hungary had hinted at blocking Ukraine’s membership of NATO.
The two countries have repeatedly clashed in the past years over what Hungary said were curbs on the rights of roughly 150,000 ethnic Hungarians.
Meanwhile, Hungarians use their native tongue, especially in education, after Ukraine passed a law in 2017 restricting the use of minority languages in schools.
On Monday, Ukraine’s foreign ministry said it had handed the Hungarian ambassador a note of protest for what it described as political agitation by Hungarian officials in favour of a party that contested Saturday’s elections in Ukraine.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Train attack victims: FG reveals details on alleged ransome paid
- AbdulRazaq greets Muslims, attends Kwara’s annual Maulid celebration
- Buhari presents N20.51trn 2023 budget to National Assembly
- Gbajabiamila Pledges Timely Passage of 2023 Budget
- Al-Hikmah varsity Founder offers scholarships to late Sheikh Aboto’s children
- Oil theft has put economic diversification under serious threat—-Lawan
- BREAKING…Appeal Court orders ASUU to call off strike
- Buhari makes last budget presentation as president
- Nigeria needs increased budgetary allocation to make headway in pursuit for Universal Health Coverage—Fayemi
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday