The Permanent Secretary, Federal Ministry of Education, Mr David Adejo, made this commitment in Abuja at the 2022 EdTech Summit and Award with the theme “Industrial Revolution, the Future of Education’.
Adejo, who was represented by the Deputy Director of ICT in the ministry, Mr Gbenga Oderemi said that the federal government was leveraging on ICT to improve the quality and efficiency of education at all levels.
According to him, technology has become the driver of competitiveness in our world today and it has redefined productivity and changed the dynamics of production and services.
“ICT has expanded social networking beyond borders and affected virtually every sector of the world economy.
“We need to equip our youths with relevant IT skills and empower them for self-reliance and economic growth.
We must use ICT to improve the life of our citizens and for social transformation.
“We are also providing greater access for the learners in basic and senior secondary.
Some of our initiatives include; development of a National ICT in Education policy; training of teachers on basic ICT skills; and the provision of an e-learning portal for students across the country,” he said.
Also speaking, the Chief Executive Officer of AFRITEX, Oyesola Oworu said the summit was geared towards the emergence and development of the ecosystem, which he said was lagging for the future of education.
Oworu said that Nigeria had about 20 million out-of-school children roaming the streets hence the need for quick response to fix it through technology.
“The world is not waiting for Nigeria even though Nigeria is sleeping for the next one hundred years, the world is moving.
They have gone and we are only trying to catch up with them.
“We have to meet the world where it is right now and we need to have this ecosystem developed so that everyone can come together.
“We are also planning to launch what we call Nigeria Educational Technology Alliance because a summit once in a year like this is not sufficient for us to be able to develop the ecosystem,” he said.
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC