Former Kaduna State Governor, Alhaji Balarabe Musa, has expressed disappointment over the postponement of the general elections, but declared that INEC was never prepared for the exercise in the first place.
INEC had announced the postponement, few hours to the kickoff of the Feb. 16 Presidential and National Assembly polls.Chairman of the Commission, Prof. Mahmoud Yakubu, while announcing the postponement in Abuja, attributed the step to “overwhelming logistics and operational challenges”.
The commission fixed Feb. 23 and March 9 as new dates for the Presidential and National Assembly elections and , the Governorship and State Assembly polls respectively.
But Musa, in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), in Kaduna on Saturday, said he was disappointed, but not surprised, at the development.“I am not surprised because INEC was never ready for the exercise, given the level of its preparations.“INEC had serious funding challenges; what was appropriated to the commission by the National Assembly was not adequate and everyone knew it.
“We are not even sure if the approved amount was released to the electoral body by the Federal Government.“The logistics and operational challenges are glaring. There are also serious security challenges that may affect the agency in the course of the elections.
“The security services are facing the same funding crises and most of them are living in fear.“You can also see the serious challenges being faced by the Judiciary, who are supposed to play a major role in the election process,” Musa said.
“So, I must say that I am disappointed, but, again, as I said, I am not surprised.“I hope that all the stakeholders will take the necessary measures to help INEC address the issues before Feb, 23, the new date for the Presidential polls, because the President can only handover power to an elected person.”Musa called on Nigerians to remain calm, while waiting for the new dates for the polls.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment