Imo State lawmakers are presently plotting impeachment move against the Speaker of the state assembly, Rt Hon Acho Ihim, over his purported governorship ambition, according to an inside source at the assembly.
The lawmakers, after a secret meeting in the house of a notable politician in the state, decided that the alleged secret ambition of the Speaker to succeed Okorocha, has undermined his office.
One of the aggrieved legislators, who did want his name mentioned disclosed that the House has commenced the collection of signatories for the eventual impeachment of the Speaker, if he fails to heed the call to tender his resignation.
The source said, “The lawmakers are angry with the Speaker because of the way he has been running the House, for instance, they believe that his closeness with the governor had robbed members of the House their legitimate entitlements. And they feel that the Speaker’s hands are tied because of what he is expecting from the governor.
He continued, “In as much as we are not against him nursing any ambition, but a situation where such ambition is undermining the functions of his office, he should resign or face impeachment. His actions have ridiculed the House enough and we cannot take it anymore. He should resign and concentrate on his ambition. This is about the only House where the entitlements of lawmakers are not paid and the Speaker still runs around with the governor singing his praises.”
However, when contacted, the Media Aide to the Speaker, Mr Ben Ilochonwu, denied the allegation, describing it as a mere rumour. He said the Speaker has no specified ambition for 2019.
Facebook Comments Box
- Breaking …New Emir emerged in Dutse, Muhammadu Hameem
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch