The federal government has reiterated its recognition of the important role that technology plays in combating asymmetric threats.
Nigeria’s Defence Minister, Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) stated at the opening ceremony of the Defence retreat in Asaba Delta State with the theme; “Shaping the Armed Forces of Nigeria for current and future security challenges”.
He identified the huge inroads by the Nigerian Army in cyber and forensic areas, the deployment of the Falcon Eye infrastructure by the Nigerian Navy and the acquisition of unmanned aerial systems by the Nigerian Air Force as some of the proves of government’s investments in upgrading the capabilities of the Nigerian Military.
The Defence Minister added that some of the Technological breakthroughs are enhancing situational awareness for troops and better operational security in the country.
While appreciating the Chief of Defence Staff General Leo Irabor for the initiative in putting the Defence retreat together tagged Asaba 2022 charged the participants to take maximum advantage of the platform to identify possible areas that require tinkering to meat the present day security challenges.
Going forward, before the Special guest unveiled the new National Military Strategy alongside other dignitaries including the Governor of Delta state Senator Arthur Okowa, he also challenged the retreatants to carefully examine statutory documents and policies that guide the establishment and development of the Armed Forces to ensure that they meet current realities.
In their separate remarks Governor Sen. Ifeanyi Okowa and the Chief of Defence Staff thanked the Special guest for his presence at the retreat despite his tight schedules.
They justified the retreat for its appropriate timing and described it as a right step in the right direction especially now that the philosophy of Jointness and interoperability have become operationalised in dealing with current security challenges.
The end of the opening ceremony attended by some members of the National Assembly, Service Chiefs and retired top Military hierarchies as well as traditional rulers dovetailed into technical sessions touching on National defence policy, joint defence Doctrine and Armed Forces Act, Operational strategic harmonisation among other issues.
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto
- PVCs, ballot boxes, destroyed after an attack on Ebonyi INEC office
- Gov. Adeleke appoints Chief of Staff, SSG, CPS
- World cup riots break out after Morocco’s shock 2-0 win over Belgium