A frontline social media celebrity, Ismaila Mustapha, popularly known as Mompha, has been apprehended by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Lagos zonal office, for alleged involvement in Internet fraud and money laundering.
At the point of arrest, five wristwatches with a total value of over N20m was claimed to have been recovered from him.
The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, said this in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday.
The anti-graft agency said the suspect was arrested on Friday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on his way to Dubai, United Arab Emirate, following series of intelligence reports said to be linking him to organised transnational cyber fraud and money laundering.
“Mustapha allegedly perpetrates his fraudulent activities under the cover of being a Bureau de Change operator, to launder his proceeds of crime.”
The commission disclosed that the suspect had volunteered useful information while investigation continued, adding that he would be charged to court as soon as investigation was concluded.
- (SEE FULL DETAILS) Kwara commissioners and their portfolios
- BREAKING… Party loyalists storm Ilorin as Gov. Abdulrazaq swears-in 16 commissioners, 4 SAs, others
- 100 Ekiti women benefit from NITDA ICT training
- UNILORIN don reveals how theatre art can contribute to national devt.
- Man grusomely murdered in Ilorin by unknown assailants (PHOTOS)
- Sowore: Senate probes alleged court invasion by DSS operatives
- 2020: Senate considers N232.8bn budget for FCT
- Senate moves to end discrimination against women Police
- 24yr-old acclaimed husband arraigned in court over alleged marriage without consent
- Nigeria to begin free visa entry for Africans by 2020