Internet celebrity, Mompha arrested over alleged fraud, others
A frontline social media celebrity, Ismaila Mustapha, popularly known as Mompha, has been apprehended by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, Lagos zonal office, for alleged involvement in Internet fraud and money laundering.
At the point of arrest, five wristwatches with a total value of over N20m was claimed to have been recovered from him.
The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, said this in a statement in Abuja on Tuesday.
The anti-graft agency said the suspect was arrested on Friday at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja on his way to Dubai, United Arab Emirate, following series of intelligence reports said to be linking him to organised transnational cyber fraud and money laundering.
“Mustapha allegedly perpetrates his fraudulent activities under the cover of being a Bureau de Change operator, to launder his proceeds of crime.”
The commission disclosed that the suspect had volunteered useful information while investigation continued, adding that he would be charged to court as soon as investigation was concluded.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- DSS confirms plot by disgruntled elements for Interim Government
- Naira gains, exchanges N461.24 against dollar
- Buhari approves appointment of 6 new Perm Secs.
- Gawuna accepts defeat, congratulates Kano Gov-elect
- Senate urges banks to resume operations in Akwa Ibom
- Man arrested for allegedly raping 9-month-old baby in Lagos
- One Judge dismissed, two others demoted in Niger state
- OYO SUBEB Monitors Unified Exams
- I won’t run from EFCC after handover — Wike
- NASS prescribes 5-yr jail term for defaulters in Fed Audit Bill