Jay-Z speaks about boycotting the Grammys to support DMX
Rapper and music executive, has opened up on his relationship with the late Hip-hop icon, DMX.
The Roc Nation boss, was a guest on the season premiere of HBO’s “The Shop: Uninterrupted” with LeBron James and Maverick Carter, during which he opened up about DMX for the first time since his death on April 9.
JAY-Z recalled their friendship and rivalry revealing he boycotted the Grammys in 1999 after DMX was not nominated.
JAY-Z won his first Grammy that year for Best Rap Album for Vol. 2… Hard Knock Life, but he didn’t show up to the awards in solidarity with DMX.
“The first time I boycotted the Grammys was for him,” he said. “We both came out that year. He didn’t get nominated. He dropped two No. 1 albums in the same year and they didn’t even nominate him.”
“I wasn’t even in the building because I boycotted it for him,” he revealed. “There was a competitive thing, but it was big love.”
“He was so competitive with me. I never met a human being more competitive with me, ever, not even my big brother.”
DMX and Jay met while battling in the Bronx, New York..
JAY-Z recalled one time when DMX called him out at a show following one of their rap battles.
“He got on stage: ‘JAY-Z, where you at!?’ I was like, ‘This guy is nuts!’ He was just all passion.”
Jigga also praised X for making him a better performer.
“My fondest memory of DMX was he improved my stage show,” .”
Before his death, JAY-Z recorded one final collaboration with DMX and Nas on “Bath Salts” off DMX’s posthumous album Exodus.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Senate President: Group canvasses support for Akpabio
- Adamawa re-run election: CAN calls for calm
- FG confirms May 3 for commencement of 2023 Census
- Gov Adeleke entertains supporters with drumming skills (Video)
- Igbos will worship Tinubu if he can create seaport in Anambra– Cossy Ojiakor
- WAAFA: Cleric seeks support for orphans, less privileged
- Ilorin Emir’s palace ramadan tafsir begins on Monday
- INEC set to issue Certificate of Return to govs, deputy govs-elect
- Facts about Gen. Oladipo Diya as he dies at 79
- DSS raises alarm over plot to incite violence