BEING TEXT OF ADDRESS DELIVERED BY THE CHAIRMAN LOCAL ORGANIZING COMMITTEE FOR THE 31st MAULID ANNIVERSARY OF SHEIK IBRAHIM NIASS TODAY MONDAY 24TH APRIL 2017.
Sufism in Islam is a spiritual institution for the actualization of divine ethics in the Islamic religion. It involves an enlightened inner being, not intellectual proof; revelation of witnessing, not logic. By divine ethics, we are referring to conviction that transcends mere social convention, a way of being that is the actualization of the attributes of God.
However, one of the prominent Sufi orders is the Tariqatul-Tijaniyyah, founded by a renowned Islamic Scholar of International repute, Sheikh Ahmad al-Tijani (d. 1815 C.E) and it spreads across West Africa and beyond through the effort of Shaykh Ibahim Niass (d. 1975).
ABOUT SHAYKH IBRAHIM NIASS
Shaykh Ibrahim Niass was born in the village of Taiba, about 25 miles South of Kawlakh, Senegal on November 8, 1900. Over years, the Shaykh distinguished himself not only as an icon of Sufis but, indeed, a role model, a great achiever, an outstanding, committed, ebullient, and indefatigable scholar of inestimable value. The Sheikh travelled wide around the world to propagate the pristine Islam and unite the Muslim community.
His fields of activities include preaching, teaching and writing. As a roving preacher, Sheikh Niass travelled to number of places in Africa, Europe, America and Asia. He was also instrumental to global peace advocacy especially among Muslims and adherents of other faiths.
Meanwhile, in 1988, Mawlid (annual remembrance) of Sheikh Ibrahim Niass was popularized in Nigeria by an association known as “Majma Ahbab Sheikh Ibrahim Niass” composed of adherents of Tijaniyyah and other Muslim brethren who gathered in Lagos to celebrate it and since then, the celebration continues to date.
Records have shown that the event was held in Kaduna in 1991, Oyo 1992, Kano 1993, Kwara 1994, Sokoto 1995, Osun 1996, Plateau 1997, Ogun 1998, Zamfara 1999, Ondo 2000, Gombe 2001, Katsina 2002, Niger 2003, Kogi 2004, Kano 2005, Abuja 2006, Kebbi 2007, Nasarawa 2008, Adamawa 2009, Kano 2010, Sokoto 2011, Niger 2012, JIgawa 2013, Gombe 2014, Bauchi 2015, Katsina 2016 and again, it is coming in Kwara State this year.
Arrangements have been concluded for the hosting of this year’s annual Mawlid for the renowned scholar, Sheikh Ibrahim Niass to be held in Ilorin the Kwara State capital as follows:
1. Conference on 26th-27th April 2017 at the Kwara State College of Education, Ilorin beginning at 9 o’clock in morning.
2. Special Jumaat Service on 28th April 2017 at Ilorin Central Mosque to be followed by Dhikr Jumuat at the Palace Square of the Emir of Ilorin beginning at 4.30pm to 7pm while Dhikr Kasa will be held at the Metropolitan Square beginning at 9pm till dawn.
3. The grand finale of the event which is the Mawlid will come up on 29th April 2017 at the Metropolitan Square along Asa-Dam, Ilorin beginning 10am to 1.30 pm.
Furthermore, President Muhammad Buhari GCFR, will be the Distinguished Guest of Honour, Senate President Abubakar Bukola Saraki CON, is the Special Guest of Honour , Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed is the Chief Host, Alhaji (Dr.) Ibrahim Sulu-Gambari CFR is the Royal Father of the Day while Khalifa Abubakar Yusuf Akoeyede who is also the Grand Khalifa of Tijaniyyah, Kwara State is the Host
The essence of the celebration is to further cement the existing mutual relationship of the adherents of Sheikh Ibrahim Niass all over the world, to immortalize and commemorate the legacy and teachings of the Sheikh and to pray for peaceful co-existence of the entire nation.
Finally, we urge all participating states to remain calm and resolute to the fact maximum security has been provided to ensure that the event record remarkable success.
Thanks for your kind attention.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo