By Arowona Abdulazeez
Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara State on Wednesday agitated for excise of funding of basic level education from local government councils to the federal government.
Governor Ahmed made this call while featuring on a Radio programme tagged: “Governor Explains” and monitored by ROYAL NEWS.
According to the governor, the continuous funding and payment of basic level teachers by the local governments is hindering the growth of education at the foundational level.
“Education at the primary level is abysmally low and this is a serious concern to governments at state and federal levels. I think it’s high time we separated the local government funding from State Universal Basic Education”, the governor said.
Gov Ahmed who assured Kwarans of his government’s continuous support for education at all levels, especially SUBEB teachers, promised to pay counterpart funding to the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) from the next tranche of Paris loan refund to enable the government access funds for major repairs of schools across the state.
“Our government would spare no effort at providing the necessary infrastructure in schools to guarantee conducive learning”, the governor said.
Speaking further, Gov Ahmed said the state government has secured a Non-Governmental Organisation status for the International Vocational, Technical and Entrepreneurship College, Ajase-ipo to make the institution attractive to international organisations and ensure sustainability.
Governor Ahmed explained that the decision to change the status of the institution was to guarantee its capacity to drive recurrent expenditure on self-sustainable basis.
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn