The Kano State House of Assembly on Monday ordered the suspension of the Chairman of Danbatta Local Government Area, Alhaji Idris Haruna-Zago, for allegedly revealing the state government’s classified information.
The suspension order followed a motion of urgent public importance presented before the assembly by an All Progressives Congress (APC) member representing Nasarawa Constituency, Alhaji Ibrahim Gama.
Gama said that the Chairman had revealed government’s classified information and thereby breached his oath of office.
According to him, Haruna-Zago also failed to inaugurate the Supervisory Councillors and the Council’s Secretary.
Gama, who stressed the need to suspend the council’s chairman, added that he violated the 2006 Local Government law in the state.
Following series of deliberation, the legislators unanimously adopted the motion and ordered the immediate suspension of the chairman for six months, pending the Assembly’s investigation.
The Assembly had directed the House’s Standing Committee on Local Government and Chieftaincy affairs to investigate the allegations and present its reports within two months.
The lawmakers also directed the vice chairman of the local government, Alhaji Musa Sani, to take over the affairs of the council, pending the outcome of the investigation.
The Assembly further instructed all elected chairmen in the state, who were yet to swear in their supervisory councillors and secretaries to do so within 24 hours.
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor
- Kebbi assembly deputy speaker, 5 other resign appointments
- Adamawa guber candidate dies
- Lawyer sues CBN, seeks extension of deadline for old naira notes
- CBN unveils domestic card to strengthen payments system
- SHOCKING… Governor loses son
- Banks in Ogun applauded over circulation of new naira notes