The Katsina state house of assembly is considering a motion seeking to convert all television viewing centres across the 34 local government areas in the state into Islamic schools.
A member of the state House of Assembly, Mustapha Yusuf-Jibia, a member representing Jibia constituency presented the joint motion at the plenary session presided over by Tasi’u Maigari, the assembly’s speaker on Tuesday, July 6.
Yusuf-Jibia said the call became necessary because the schools were more important than the viewing centres. According to him, Islamic education had suffered setbacks in most of the areas, especially the rural areas, adding that if his prayer succeeded, the conversion would also assist in reducing the spate of insecurity in the state.
“If my prayer scales through, it will also help in reducing the number of Almajiri children roaming the streets in the name of begging.
Some of these viewing centres were abandoned and had become refuse dumps, criminal hideouts and a place where redundant youths hang around.”Yusuf-Jibia
According to him, if the centres were converted, the government will recruit teachers to teach in the schools which would provide employment for the people.
“Not only the government, but also the wealthy individuals and philanthropists in the areas can employ them,” he said
After deliberations by the lawmakers, the house ordered its joint committees on religious affairs and that of social development, to study the appropriateness of the conversion.
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities