From Ahmed Idris, Birnin Kebbi
ABOUT one million trees have been raised and ready for planting by the Kebbi State Ministry for Environment and Solid Minerals for the 2020 season.
Briefing journalists while inspecting nursed seedlings with the members of the climate change initiative on Tuesday, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry, Hajiya Fatima Umar disclosed that sizable number of them will be distributed to Tungya Farmers and members of the general public for planting as part of afforestation and Environmental Sustainability drive across the state.
She commended the State Governor, Senator Abubakar Atiku Bagudu, for his endorsement and support for the project initiated by the Ministry stressing that such laudable gesture will serve as a needed impetus towards Sustainable Environmental best practices in the state.
She called on farmers and tree planting Enthusiasts to avail themselves of the opportunity provided by the Government to plant and nurture more trees to promote healthy lifestyles in the society.
After inspecting the nursery, the Permanent Secretary assured that the Ministry will deploy its available manpower to ensure adequate monitoring of the trees planted at designated places to protect and nurture them to maturity adding that sizable number of endengered tree species such as Tamarin, Locust, Baobab along with Neem, Eucalyptus are currently available for Distribution while few Economic Trees will be sold at subsidised rates to interested members of the public.
Speaking earlier, leader of the group, Alhaji Abubakar Kalgo, said they were at the Ministry to discuss areas of collaboration between the Ministry and Environmental Sustainability Group with a view to widening the scope of Environment advocacy, public enlightenment and promotion of Best Environmental Management Practices in the State.
The group advocated for enforcement of legislation against Indiscriminate felling of trees, inappropriate disposal of plastic wastes and ensuring compliance with Environmental impact assessments reports by Contractors, Companies, Individuals and Corporate Organizations across the State.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption