Chiemeka Arinze, one of the co-defendants in the alleged kidnap trial of Chukwudimeme Onwuamadike, alias Evans, has died in the custody of Correctional Services.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Arinze was charged alongside, Evans, Joseph Emeka and Udeme Upong with the attempted kidnap of Chief Vincent Obianodo, the Chairman of the Young Shall Grow Motors
They were arraigned before Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo of an Ikeja Special Offences Court.
They were also charged with murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to commit kidnapping, attempt to kidnap and sale and transfer of firearms.
According to his death certificate obtained by NAN on Monday, Arinze passed away at 9.08 p.m. on November 26 as a result of cardiopulmonary arrest.
The death certificate, which was issued by Ajeromi General Hospital, Ajegunle, and signed by Dr B.E Salisu, indicated that the man, who died at the age of 45, was also suffering from complicated advanced HIV.
According to officials of the correctional facilities who spoke under anonymity, Arinze, who was battling ill health, was rushed from the hospital of the Kirikiri Maximum Correctional Centre to a General Hospital on Friday where he died.
As of the time of the filing of this report, counsel to Arinze, Mr Ogedi Ogu, was in court for the hearing of the kidnapping case which was slated for Monday.
He disclosed to NAN that he intends to inform the court of Arinze’s demise and apply to withdraw from the case.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Two more internet fraudsters jailed in Kwara + 2 Photos
- MAN unveils secretariat in Kwara, lauds Gov. AbdulRazaq
- Farm workers kill owner in Kwara, remanded in prison
- FG Inaugurates Nigerian Shippers’ Council Governing Board
- Artisan docked for allegedly stealing cellphone
- NIS chief warns officers against extortion in passport processing
- We engage consultant in waste management for clean, healthy environment- Oyo Govt
- Ikpeazu inaugurates ABSU governing council, approves 3 months salary arrears payment
- NAF eliminates terrorists leader, Shanono in Kaduna
- Lagos residents to pay more for waste management — LAWMA