The Kogi State chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP has urged the state government to make workers’ welfare a priority and halt the gradual trend to stagnation in the State.
Mr. Bode Ogunmola, State Publicity Secretary to the party , disclosed this in a statement issued to Pressmen on Saturday.
The statement is in reaction to the ongoing strike embarked upon by workers to protest against unpaid salaries and poor working conditions. Read also: Police discover firearms factory in FCT
Ogunmola noted that with the volume of cash flow into the state through monthly allocations, Paris Club refunds, Bail Out funds, IGR among others; it shouldn’t have any business with unpaid salaries, if it’s handlers were prudent.
“A situation where the governor and his cotterie of largely unproductive political appointees display ostentatious wealth while civil servants wallow in naked penury, is condemnable, to say the least.”
The Publicity Secretary urged goverment to urgently address the workers grievances and refrain from the tyrannical temptation to criminalize or politicize a worthy engagement.
Ogunmola however, cautioned the government to be guided by its recent experience with Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU members of the State University, Anyigba and asked Read also: Court convicts 5 SARS officials for alleged murder government to thread softly on the issue.
“The laughable attempt by government to proscribe ASUU and sack about 200 lecturers at KSU is still fresh in our minds. We call on Bello to rescind that satanic decision, apologize to the affected staff and not to further aggravate an already tensed industrial situation. He should pay workers their emoluments and stop making Kogi a laughing stock in the committee of states” he added.
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List