By Olakunle Adeniyi
The Kwara State House of Assembly has called on the Kwara State Government to urgently come to the aid of victims of rainstorm in Ilorin West, Ilorin South, Asa, Ifelodun and Patigi Local Government Areas of the State, through relevant government’s agency.
This followed a Matter of Urgent Public Importance raised by a member representing Ilorin North West Constituency, Hon. Abdul Rafiu Abdul Rahman on the recent heavy rainstorm which affected many buildings thereby rendering many people homeless, across the State.
Reading the resolutions of the House, the Deputy Speaker, Elder Mathew Okedare who presided over the Wednesday’s sitting, noted with displeasure that the rain storm had wrecked havoc beyond imagination, saying that government’s timely intervention was highly imperative.
Some of the affected Communities were, Abayawo, Adangba, Lakanla and Koro.
The House equally called on the State Miinistry of Environment and Forestry to resuscitate the annual tree planting campaign and encourage tree planting in private homes to serve as wind breaker against any rainstorm.
Other members who spoke on the rainstorm disaster identified indiscriminate felling of trees for charcoal and chainsaw business as factors aggravating the intensity of the disaster and urged government to expedite action on the renovation of the affected House of Assembly Complex, and assistant to victims on the rainstorm.
Meanwhile, the House has received the reports of the State Auditor General on the Accounts of the State Government and Auditor – General’ s report/ comment on the Accounts of the state government owned Parastatals, Boards, Companies, Authorities, Commissions and Agencies for the year ended 31st December, 2015, for the legislature’s information, retention and further necessary action .
Reading the letters signed by the State Auditor General, Adeyeye Samuel, the Deputy Speaker directed the Leader of the House to lay the two audited reports on the table, for further legislative actions.
- New Naira notes: Police warn against violence
- Agriculture contributes 23.78% to GDP – Minister
- PHOTO NEWS: Peter Obi visits Emir of Ilorin
- 2023 elections: NUT opens up on candidate to vote
- World Cancer Day: DevComms advocate public literacy for earlier detection
- Fuel Scarcity: Transporters Demand Removal of Sylva, Kyari
- APC postpones presidential campaign rally in Oyo indefinitely
- Ibadan records another protest over scarcity of fuel, new naira notes
- Peter Obi arrives Kwara for Presidential Campaign rally (photos)
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends